Moving databases

From: "Jay Hodges" <jay(at)dracodigital(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Moving databases
Date: 2001-03-20 04:42:52
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have a problem. I installed PostgreSQL, RH 6.1 and it put the database files in /var/lib/pgsql, there also exists /usr/lib/pgsql that is not being used.

Now that my database is becoming quite large, it has outgrown the /var/ parition and I would like to move at least one database to /usr partition, or to a NFS.

can this be done easily, and if so, what would be the procedure to move the files with no losses (all databases are currently active on the Internet to the public, but downtime is acceptable for moving them)

Thanks in advance.
Jay Hodges