Re: tcl-devel build dependencies for 7.4.2

From: "Donald Fraser" <demolish(at)cwgsy(dot)net>
To: "[ADMIN]" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tcl-devel build dependencies for 7.4.2
Date: 2004-04-14 14:28:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

----- Original Message -----
> On Tuesday 13 April 2004 16:43, Donald Fraser wrote:
> > I am trying to build Postgres 7.4.2 from the source rpm on Red Hat Linux
> > 7.1 2.96-98
>
> While I do test builds on a Red Hat 7.3 compatible system, I do not do so on
> 7.1 system. Sorry.
>
> > I get the following error message:
> > [root(at)CISX_Linux1 usr]# rpmbuild --rebuild postgresql-7.4.2-1PGDG.src.rpm
> > Installing postgresql-7.4.2-1PGDG.src.rpm
> > error: failed build dependencies:
> > tcl-devel is needed by postgresql-7.4.2-1PGDG
>
> rpmbuild --rebuild --define 'build7x 1' postgresql-7.4.2-1PGDG.src.rpm
>
> But you might find other things broken, like Python. You can remove the
whole
> python client build if you wish (and don't need a python client) by passing
> 'python 0' as a --define. AFAIK that will work on RHL7.1. YMMV.
>
> I am testing some scripts/macros that will automatically figure out the
> system; they are not production ready yet.
>
> > My problem is that I can't find a binary or a source for tcl-devel for Red
> > Hat Linux 7.1.
>
> The package doesn't exist in the 7.x series. All you need is the main tcl
> package in 7.x, and the build7x macro in the spec file takes care of that.
> --
> Lamar Owen

Thanks for the reply Lamar.
By about midnight last night after giving up on most other ideas I read through
the build spec. file and found the parameter build7x option. Additionally I
found that I could disable the python compilation as you proposed... Wish I had
read through that file first!

Regards
Donald Fraser