Re: C++ port of Postgres

From: "dandl" <david(at)andl(dot)org>
To: "'Adam Brusselback'" <adambrusselback(at)gmail(dot)com>, "'Joy Arulraj'" <jarulraj(at)cs(dot)cmu(dot)edu>
Cc: "'kang joni'" <kangjoni76(at)gmail(dot)com>, "'Dmitry Igrishin'" <dmitigr(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: C++ port of Postgres
Date: 2016-08-16 06:24:27
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Just wondering what the end goal is for this project... Is it to just maintain an up to date Postgres fork that will compile with a C++ compiler? Is it to get a conversation going for a direction for Postgres itself to move? The former I don't see gaining much traction or doing all that much for the state of the project. The latter possibly could if the community gets on board.

I would certainly hope the latter. Having done some work on extension functions and an extension language for Postgres, the current situation can be quite limiting.

* Parts of my code could only be written in C++, so I finished up with a mixed build, which is not ideal.

* My other issue was dealing with the Datum macros. Type-safe inline C++ functions would help reduce dumb errors.

Not compelling reasons perhaps, but just a vote for a move in that direction, some time.

Regards

David M Bennett FACS

_____

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org