Re: Exceptions when 0 rows affected.

From: "Andrei Bintintan" <klodoma(at)ar-sd(dot)net>
To: "Stef" <svb(at)ucs(dot)co(dot)za>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Exceptions when 0 rows affected.
Date: 2004-05-11 06:02:19
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi Stef,

Your problem depends on what interface/programming language you're using.
In a Begin End transaction you will have to verify if the returned data is
good for you so then you decide if you run at the end "COMMIT" or
"ROLLBACK".

In php (and where is compatible) I suggest this:

//this is php code:

$error = false;
dbExec("BEGIN");

//I use a switch statement so I can jump out of it with a break at any time
switch (1){
case 1:
$sql = "Insert....";
if (!dbExec($sql)) {$error = true; break;}//was an error?? we jump out
from switch
$sql = "Select ....";
if (!dbExec($sql)) {$error = true; break;}
$sql = "Update....";
if (!dbExec($sql)) {$error = true; break;}
}//switch

if ($error) dbExec("ROLBACK"); //an error ocured
else dbExec("COMMIT");//there was no error

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Andy.