Re: [GENERAL] Re: server hardware recommendations

From: "DSDeurne Automatisering, Wim Aarts" <w(dot)aarts(at)dsdeurne(dot)nl>
To: "Marc Tardif" <admin(at)wtbwts(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: server hardware recommendations
Date: 2000-01-26 08:36:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Marc,

We've had the same questions and cam up with the following plan:
We'll setup a server with raid 5 (linux). With plenty disk space for this
year to come (estimated).
Then the next year we'll buy a new server..... with raid 5 and enough disk
space for the first year.
Patches new releases are taken into account in this new installed server.
The backup procedure will be tested getting the data on the database.
Then a test period follows before the lot goes live.

I know I won't win a price with this idea but specially the test possibility
allows me to sleep (at night) when changes on the database have to be done.
And it might seem expensive but considering all options this might turn out
to be the cheapest solution after all.

Cheers Wim.