Re: Is there a way to SubPartition?

From: "Jerry Champlin" <jchamplin(at)absolute-performance(dot)com>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is there a way to SubPartition?
Date: 2008-08-27 20:21:41
Lists: pgsql-performance

If it were implemented in such a way that when the top level pruning
happens, a set of 3 sub partitions is selected from say 18 total and then at
the next level is selects the 3 matching sub partitions from each matched
group of 30 then you are only looking at 18+3*30 = 108 instead of 548 checks
to evaluate <example assumes monthly first level partitioning and daily sub
partitioning>. If this is not supported, then we will need to solve the
problem a different way - probably weekly partitions and refactor the code
to decrease updates by at least an order of magnitude. While we are in the
process of doing this, is there a way to make updates faster? Postgresql is
spending a lot of CPU cycles for each HOT update. We have
synchronous_commit turned off, commit siblings set to 5, commit_delay set to
50,000. With synchronous_commit off does it make any sense to be grouping
commits? Buffers written by the bgwriter vs checkpoint is 6 to 1. Buffers
written by clients vs buffers by checkpoint is 1 to 6. Is there anything
obvious here?

-Jerry