Re: running postgresql as a linux service

From: "Raul Secan" <raul(at)zerosoft(dot)ro>
To: "Ron St-Pierre" <rstpierre(at)syscor(dot)com>, <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: running postgresql as a linux service
Date: 2004-03-19 09:49:36
Lists: pgsql-php

I saw that in /etc/init.d/ dir I already have postgresql, so the service is
installed, bu wehn try to run:

service postgresql start

I receive:

Initializing database: [FAILED]
Starting postgresql service: pg_ctl: no operation mode specified
Try "pg_ctl --help" for more information.
-sh: line 2: -p: command not found

Anyway I just edit the postgresql file and see something anormal there I
think:

export PGDATA=/var/lib/pgsql/data

But my Postgresql data dir is /usr/local/pgsql/data.

Can someone tell me what is going on?
Thanks.