Re: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules

From: "Jonathan Bond-Caron" <jbondc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "'Shane Ambler'" <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>, "'Justin'" <justin(at)emproshunts(dot)com>
Cc: "'Martin'" <mgainty(at)hotmail(dot)com>, "'Nikola Milutinovic'" <alokin1(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules
Date: 2008-05-29 18:10:50
Lists: pgsql-general

There is https://priorart.ip.com/ to make claims to novel ideas (this costs
money).

I also share the idea that it would be amazing if companies could get
together and fund a non-profit that would hold a "patent portfolio"/ideas of
open source projects and their contributors. I'm no lawyer, but that would
imply that the open-source licensing would have to change. Copyright stays
the same but patent licenses could be granted free of use to anyone using
the open source product or modification of the product.

However, a commercial product using an idea / patent in the open-source
portfolio *could* be enforced by the non-profit.
Hell, essentially fight back against larger companies and hold a stronger
leverage.

It's the only way I can think of that companies using open-source projects
could fight the patent system.