Re: [Fwd: Re: Performance problem with Sarge compared

From: "Dave Dutcher" <dave(at)tridecap(dot)com>
To: 'Piñeiro' <apinheiro(at)igalia(dot)com>
Cc: "'PSQL-Performance'" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Performance problem with Sarge compared
Date: 2006-09-12 19:05:35
Lists: pgsql-performance

> From: pgsql-performance-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
> [mailto:pgsql-performance-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Piñeiro
> > TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend
> Well, yes, it is a friend, but as the select at postgre Sarge version
> never finished I can't use a explain analyze. I show you the explain,
> with the hope that someone has any idea, but i think that
> this is almost
> indecipherable (if you want the Woody ones i can post the explain
> analyze). Thanks in advance.

Does the machine run out of disk space every time? Is it possible to try
the query on a different machine with more hard drive room? An explain
analyze of the slow plan will be much more helpful than an explain, even if
its from a different machine. If its generating a large temp file, it is
another sign that the query is doing some kind of large cross product.