Re: BUG #6712: PostgreSQL 9.2 beta2: alter table drop constraint does not work on inherited master table

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: "'Noah Misch'" <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: <miroslav(dot)sulc(at)fordfrog(dot)com>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6712: PostgreSQL 9.2 beta2: alter table drop constraint does not work on inherited master table
Date: 2012-07-16 11:19:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs

From: Noah Misch [mailto:noah(at)leadboat(dot)com]
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2012 2:54 AM

> One can construct similar bugs around dropping foreign key and exclusion
> constraints. Though it may be irrelevant for command semantics,
additionally
> using connoinherit = 't' for contype = 't' (CONSTRAINT_TRIGGER) would
> more-accurately represent the nature of those constraints.

Code Changes
----------------
I will make changes in following functions to ensure that connoinherit
should be appropriately set(pass the value as true).
a. index_constraint_create()
b. ATAddForeignKeyConstraint()
c. CreateTrigger().

Other places I have checked seems to be fine.

Test
--------
I will create testcases similar to mentioned in bug report for
a. unique key case, same as in bug-report
b. foreign key case
c. exclusion constraint case

> Care to prepare a patch with a test case addition?
Let me know if above is sufficient or shall I include anything more in
patch.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.