Problem starting postgresql

From: "Selvam" <selvam(at)netwxs(dot)com(dot)my>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Problem starting postgresql
Date: 2001-07-27 18:21:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have just installed PostgreSQL7.1.2. I am running Red Hat 7.1 I uninstalled the PostgreSQL distribution 7.0x which came together with it using RPM. I downloaded the RPMs for PostgreSQL7.1.2 using RPM. I started the postgresql service by typing /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start. The command successfully starts up the service. The problem comes after this. If I try to login to any database using psql, it works fine and has no complaints. But when I tried to access the database using the GUI client pgacess, it fails with the error message "ConnectDBStart()--connect..." and prompts me to check if the postmaster is started with -i option. Even when I write a java client to connect to the database through postgresql's jdbc, it fails with the same error.

So I tried to start postmaster through command line by typing /usr/bin/posmaster -i -D /var/lib/pgsql/data. This starts the database as usual. I can connect to the database through psql, pgacess and a java cliet.Fine, now you may wonder what's the problem. The problem is how do I add this into the postgres service startup script which is in /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql. I tried adding the "-i" near the postmaster startup command within the script but when I run it by typing postgresql start, it fails.

Can anyone please let me know how and where should I place the "-i" argument in the postgresql script? I will be eagerly awaitng a reply..

Cheers

Selvam