Adding two select statements together

From: "Brian Johnson" <bjohnson(at)jecinc(dot)on(dot)ca>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Adding two select statements together
Date: 2002-04-16 15:25:06
Lists: pgsql-novice

I don't know if the subject line is a correct description

I have three tables for entering time data for projects.

The three tables are timeentries, projects, and projectstatus. timeentries
references the project id from projects and projects references the
projectstatus table

I want to select all of the projects that aren't defined as "Inactive" like
so
SELECT testproject.*, teststatus.name
FROM testproject INNER JOIN teststatus ON testproject.status = teststatus.id
WHERE (teststatus.name<>"Inactive");

but I also want to include any projects that are referenced by the
timeentries between two dates (without having duplicate project listings)

This added complication is where I get totally lost - any help?