Re: OR vs UNION

From: <terry(at)ashtonwoodshomes(dot)com>
To: <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "'Scott Cain'" <cain(at)cshl(dot)org>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OR vs UNION
Date: 2003-07-17 19:58:35
Lists: pgsql-sql

Actually, I have used a UNION to replace OR's, the case (simpliefied to)
something like this:

Sample 1:
WHERE (f1 = 'v1' OR f1 = '')
AND (f2 = 'v2' OR f2 = '')

Changed to Sample 2:
WHERE (f1 = 'v1')
AND (f2 = 'v2')
UNION
WHERE (f1 = 'v1')
AND (f2 = '')
UNION
WHERE (f1 = '')
AND (f2 = '')

Note that Sample 1 is actually a simplified version, the queries are not
exactly equivalent.

The point is that sample 2 ran MUCH faster because:
a) The table was *very* large
b) The OR clauses of sample 1 prevented the use of an INDEX,

Reason: It is faster to scan an index 3 times then scan this very large
table once.

I do not know if there is a proof to say that one can *always* replace OR's
with a union, but sometimes certainly, and in this case it made things much
better...

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry(at)greatgulfhomes(dot)com
Fax: (416) 441-9085