Re: tables, where

From: "Mitch Vincent" <mitch(at)venux(dot)net>
To: "Rich Shepard" <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tables, where
Date: 2001-03-29 17:25:06
Lists: pgsql-general

> The docs for the 6.x releases described how to use different data
> directories under postgres. After trying unsuccessfully with a number of
> different approaches, I asked the list and learned that this feature was
> broken under 6.x but was scheduled to be working in the 7.x releases. My
> question is whether or not (with 7.0.3 or 7.1) I can specify environment
> variables such as $PGDATA2 and $PGDATA3, each pointing to a
project-specific
> data directory, and be able to have postgres recognize (and accept!) that
> directory?
>
> For example, (and this is what I tried with the 6.5.x series), in
> ~/.bash_profile I have this:
>
> PGLIB=/usr/lib/pgsql
> PGDATA=/var/lib/pgsql
> PGDATA2=/home/rshepard/accounting/paisley
> export PGLIB PGDATA PGDATA2
>
> I went through the process of registering PGDATA2 with postgres
> (supposedly), but I could not use this directory.
>
> Could I now do this and have it work?

I'm confused as to how this could work.. The PGDATA environment variable
(as I understand it) is used so that you don't need to supply a -D <data
dir> argument to the postmaster at startup. If you had PGDATA and PGDATA2
defined, how does the backend know which to use at startup without
specifying something on the command line -- and if you're putting something
on the command line anyway, why not just say -D <other data dir> ?

Good luck!

-Mitch
Software development :
You can have it cheap, fast or working. Choose two.