Re: [INTERFACES] Images

From: "Frank Morton" <fmorton(at)base2inc(dot)com>
To: "Collin F(dot) Lynch" <clynch(at)water2(dot)cs(dot)umass(dot)edu>
Cc: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Images
Date: 1999-06-23 16:15:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

We have a commercial media management system in development
(close to finished) using postgresql running under Linux written in Java.

Our philosophy has been to store the media as a file and just have
the pathname to the media item in the database. While I like the
theoretical side of storing media in the database and I am sure that
is how things will be done years ahead, the reality is that there are
many utility type programs (such as imagemagik for us) that can do
lots of things with media, but they all make today's assumption that
the data is available in a file. If, for example, you want to convert an
image from one format to another, if the content is in the database,
first you'd have to extract it into a file, then convert it and them
(probably)
put it back again. It creates a lot of work.

Just my 0.02.

What is the scope and timetable of your project? We might be
interested in donating to your project if it fits the non-profit
model, though our product is not open source.