Re: beta testing version

From: "Gary MacDougall" <gary(at)freeportweb(dot)com>
To: "mlw" <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, "Hannu Krosing" <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: "Thomas Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, "Don Baccus" <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: beta testing version
Date: 2000-12-03 23:15:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> No, not at all. At least for me, if I write code which is dependent on
> the open source work of others, then hell yes, that work should also be
> open source. That, to me, is the difference between right and wrong.

Actually, your not legally bound to anything if you write "new" additional
code, even if its dependant on something. You could consider it
"propietary"
and charge for it. There a tons of these things going on right now.

Having dependancy on an open source product/code/functionality does not
make one bound to make thier code "open source".

> If you write a program which stands on its own, takes no work from
> uncompensated parties, then you have the unambiguous right to do what
> ever you want.

Thats a given.

> I honestly feel that it is wrong to take what others have shared and use
> it for the basis of something you will not share, and I can't understand
> how anyone could think differently.

The issue isn't "fairness", the issue really is really trust. And from what
I'm
seeing, like anything else in life, if you rely solely on trust when money
is
involved, the system will fail--eventually.

sad... isn't it?