FreeBSD ICU was Win32 unicode vs ICU

From: "Kevin McArthur" <postgresql-list(at)stormtide(dot)ca>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: FreeBSD ICU was Win32 unicode vs ICU
Date: 2005-08-24 16:58:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

I was reviewing this thread about its lack of collation support in freebsd.

As some of you may or may not know the PHP project is also currently working
heavily on unicode support. (For PHP6)

I had the chance to ask Andrei Zmievski of the php project about their
support for unicode. The key items are as follows.

<StormTide> with the new unicode support, is there any support for unicode
collation
<andrei> StormTide, there will be
<StormTide> is it imported by the platform or custom done for php
<StormTide> (cuz freebsd seeems to have issues with its collation support)
<andrei> StormTide, not OS-dependent
<andrei> StormTide, uses CLDR

Should the postgresql project also be looking at CLDR for cross-platform
unicode support?

http://www.unicode.org/cldr/

Kevin McArthur
Digifonica Canada