Re: Long running queries and timeouts

From: "Mitch Vincent" <mitch(at)doot(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Long running queries and timeouts
Date: 2002-01-20 00:10:15
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-php

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.set-time-limit.php will allow you to
set the timeout but you might post the queries and EXPLAIN output to
pg-general to see if there is something that can be done to speed them up...
Some well placed indexes always help!

> You can always use persistent connections. It's not a good idea to use
> too many, or you will be denied access to Postgres any other way, but it's
> a quick fix for the short run.

The maximum connections is a configuration parameter in postgresql.conf --
persistent connections are pretty cool but have been broken until recent
versions of PHP so I'm still hesitant using them..

> Long run and responsibility includes using an array, or an object to
> retrieve data.

Huh?

>You can always split queries up into many small queries.

What makes you say that?

-Mitch