Re: Is there a way around function search_path killing SQL function inlining? - and backup / restore issue

From: "Regina Obe" <lr(at)pcorp(dot)us>
To: "'Robert Haas'" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "'Andreas Karlsson'" <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is there a way around function search_path killing SQL function inlining? - and backup / restore issue
Date: 2016-03-10 21:29:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hmm. The meaning of funcs.inline depends on the search_path, not just during dump restoration but all the time. So anything uses it under a different search_path setting than the normal one will have this kind of problem; not just

> dump/restore.

> I don't have a very good idea what to do about that.

> --
> Robert Haas
> EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

I wasn't suggesting it was a restore only issue, but it's most felt when your data doesn't come back. It affects any extension that relies on another extension.

Take for example, I have tiger geocoder which relies on fuzzystrmatch. I have no idea where someone installs fuzzystrmatch so I can't schema qualify those calls. I use that dependent function to use to build an index on tables.

The indexes don't come back. What I was trying to suggest (side topic, forget about inline issue),

Is the pg_dump should have a switch to allow users to tack on extra schemas

So that the dump restore set search_path thing looks like:

Set search_path=my_data_schema, pg_catalog, whatever_otehr_schemas_I_have_for_db

People can choose to use that switch or not. So that way if people do have database search_paths, they normally run with, their data will come back.

Am I missing something here in this suggestion? It's one of the most common complaints I hear about PostgreSQL in general and the crazy things people do to get around the issue like doing plain text dumps and parsing the dump.

Thanks,
Regina