Re: Build issues: "-static" builds resulting initdb problems

From: "Metin Ozisik" <metin(at)evincetek(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Build issues: "-static" builds resulting initdb problems
Date: 2005-04-30 07:04:36
Lists: pgsql-sql

The purpose of using static linking is to reduce dependencies to
shared-libraries (dependencies to different types and versions of Linux), so
an instance of postgreSQL, say built on Suse 9.0, would still work on
Mandrake 10.1. Yes it gets a bit bulky and have a number of disadvantages
over dynamic linking (on the plus side it would be a bit faster), however
the main motivater is binary portability.

Regards,
-metin