Re: accessing a db

From: "Andy Samuel" <andysamuel(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: accessing a db
Date: 2002-04-30 02:32:39
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

May be you did not shutdown the database when the last time you start it.

Try this :
1. type 'ps -a' . Can you see any 'postgres' in the 'command' column ?
If not proceed to no. 2
2. type 'rm /usr/share/postgresql/data/postmaster.pid'

Each time PostgreSQL runs, it creates the
/usr/share/postgresql/data/postmaster.pid.
If you shutdown the database cleanly, the file will be deleted.
Upon starting the postmaster, PostgreSQL check this file, if the file exist,
then it is a sign that a postmaster already running.

Everytime you're done working with Cygwin + PostgreSQL, use this command to
cleanly shutdown the postmaster :
'pg_ctl stop -D /usr/share/postgresq/data'

Hey...I hope this is not a production server.
I can not bear the responsible any lost of your data.

Good luck.