Re: Vacuum and Owner

From: "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: "Matt Friedman" <matt(at)sprynewmedia(dot)com>, "PgSql General List" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuum and Owner
Date: 2001-02-13 11:59:21
Lists: pgsql-general

From: "Matt Friedman" <matt(at)daart(dot)ca>

> I run as user "spry" on psql, I created the database as "spry" but when I
> run vacuum, all the system tables get skipped because "spry" is not the
> owner. Is there a way to fully vacuum my db and the system tables as a
user
> other than "postgres"?

Don't think this is possible. You could grant the relevant permissions to
user spry but that's probably not a good idea.

> Is is very important that the system tables are "vaccumed" in addition to
my
> db tables?

Depends how much activity there is in the system tables. If you are
creating/dropping lots of tables/functions etc then they'll need vacuuming
regularly. In general, I'd guess most people need to vacuum system tables
much less often than their data tables.

Perhaps set up a weekly cron job to vacuum the system tables as user
postgres.

- Richard Huxton