Re: Struggling to change default data location

From: "Geoff Caplan" <geoff(at)productivity(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Postgres General List" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Struggling to change default data location
Date: 2001-04-26 17:31:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Peter, thanks for your patience with a newbie. I think my stuckness stems
from 2 issues:

1) Starting environment

> The environment initdb runs in when it runs at system startup is probably
> not the one you set up. Check the /etc/init.d/postgresql file for
> details.

This is certainly true, as my settings are overridden. I have had a look at
this file, but I am still not clear what environment it is reading when it
sets $PGDATA. Can you clarify where this environment
config file should be (on RedHat)?

2) Passing parameters to postmaster during starup

Also, the init.d script uses pg_ctl to start the postmaster. I need to pass
the -i parameter using the "postmaster" utility. (As I understand it, in
past releases of these
RPMs -i was set as a default). At what point in the startup sequence can you
pass "postmaster" utility params to the postmaster process?

I will spare you from the output from your diagnostic script till I can get
these basics sorted out...

Thanks again

Geoff Caplan