Other JDBC Performance Question

From: "Frank Morton" <fmorton(at)base2inc(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Other JDBC Performance Question
Date: 1999-03-22 13:37:33
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I am using JDBC quite happily and thank you Peter.

I have a case where the database is pretty small and
the quickest response possible is more important
than usual. The whole database is about 2mb or
so with lots of different record key combinations.
I notice that, even using psql, that each time I do
a query, even the same query, the disk is accessed.

What I would really like is to somehow force the
database to be RAM resident, but still access it
using SQL. I am about to write some code to
load the whole thing up into RAM and accessing
it some special way without SQL, but it really
isn't what I want to do.

Is there any way to force the database to be RAM
resident? Either with this package or something
else?

I'd appreciate any feedback on how to very quickly
access small databases using SQL.

Thanks.

Frank Morton (fmorton(at)base2inc(dot)com)
Voice: (317) 876-3355
FAX: (317) 876-3398
Home: (317) 574-0815