Re: BUG #6698: sub-query with join producing out of memory in where clause

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: "'Heikki Linnakangas'" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, <armando(dot)miraglia(at)stud-inf(dot)unibz(dot)it>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6698: sub-query with join producing out of memory in where clause
Date: 2012-06-20 06:33:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> I'm not sure what the correct fix is. I suppose we could pfree() the old
> value before overwriting it, but I'm not sure if that's safe, or if
> there might still be references to the old value somewhere in the executor.

It will resolve the current problem but I am also not sure whether it can create
any other problem because in this function most of the work is done in per-query memory context.
One thing if we can clarify that why per-tuple memory context is not sufficient for this value
than it can be easy to conclude on solution for this problem.

Another thing I have noticed is that in function ExecScanSubPlan, the similar work is not done in
Per-query memory context, I am not sure if it is of any relevance for the problem you mentioned.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.