Re: Sparc v Intel

From: "Steve Wolfe" <steve(at)iboats(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL general list" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sparc v Intel
Date: 2001-12-05 22:38:23
Lists: pgsql-general

> aces hardware recently upgraded their architecture to a sun blade. they
> have an article talking about why they chose the hardware that they did
> as well as pointing out some of the application design decisions they
> made to improve the performance of the site. you can read about it at:
> http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=45000240

You'll also notice that when they were mentioned on slashdot, it brought
their entire site to a complete stop - as in "server unreachable" for
quite a while. Having a site run slowly after it's been slashdotted isn't
uncommon, but their server setup that they were so proud of was completely
overwhelmed on it's first day. : )

In my opinion, they just wanted to have a "hey, we know about servers!"
page because some of the other hardware review places have put up similar
stories. And to be honest, none of those have had setups that truly
impressed me, either.

steve