Re: Difference between insert a tuple in a table by function and by datasheet

From: "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: <cslucki(at)cyberworkers(dot)com>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Difference between insert a tuple in a table by function and by datasheet
Date: 2001-06-22 16:08:25
Lists: pgsql-odbc pgsql-sql

From: "Cyril Slucki" <cslucki(at)cyberworkers(dot)com>

> this is my 2nd attempt to get some links for my problem.
> I don't know whether my question is so stupid or difficult or I'm in the
> wrong list. Please let me know.

You might try the pgsql-odbc or pgsql-interfaces lists - it's also worth
checking the archives for similar issues. I think the reason you've had no
success here is we're all waiting for someone with an answer to pipe up.

> I have the following situation: ( I use MsAccess97 as frontend, ODBC
> 7.1.0003)
> I insert tuples in a table with a plpgsql-function, called in a form via
> VBA-code. It works fine, but I can't update these tuples in datasheet
view.
> ERROR: an other user has changed in the meantime.....but I'm the only.
> When I insert tuples via datasheet view, I can update these tuples, but
> only these.
>
> I can't see a difference between the tuples inserted by the function and
> datasheet, but it looks like, that the tuples are *marked*.
>
> Please, give me some information to solve my problem.

Well - I can think out loud FWIW.

Access thinks something has changed the values, so there are a couple of
things you can try:

1. Are you experiencing any timezone/clock-related problems elsewhere?
2. If you insert tuples then quit and restart Access can you edit them at
that time?
3. Can you edit all tuples from psql?
4. If you write a pass-through query to update tuples does that work?
5. If you write a function to update tuples does that work?

If it's any use here are the ODBC settings I use:

Database, Server, User Name, Password - set as required
Port: 5432

On the Advanced Options (Driver) dialogue...
Disable Genetic Optimiser: Y
KSQO: Y
Recognize Unique Indexes: Y
Use Declare/Fetch: N