failure and silence of SQL commands

From: "John Payne" <jcpayne(at)uw(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: failure and silence of SQL commands
Date: 2011-04-28 19:28:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

In my own defense: The function of any user interface should be to help the
user perform a task. In this case, the user interface is clearly not
helpful. I maintain that to some degree "the customer is always right".
The change from -> to => was so subtle that I didn't notice it. I'm sure
that a very close reading of the documentation would have eventually solved
my problem, but the syntax is really not obvious here. It took me a while
to realize that there are two kinds of commands: internal commands and SQL
commands - the documentation helped me there. But then the fact that
internal commands must start with a backslash and end without a semicolon,
whereas SQL commands must start without a backslash and end with a semicolon
was not immediately clear. No matter how stupid Leif or others may think I
am, I guarantee you that there will be other people in my shoes in the
future. Any really great user interface makes it possible for the user to
figure out how to get the behavior he or she wants, *without* reading the
manual.

Again, I do thank you all for your help.

John

John Payne
POST Staff Scientist and US Coordinator
www.postcoml.org