PGPLSql Select Into problem.

From: "Gary Townsend" <garyt(at)spatialmapping(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PGPLSql Select Into problem.
Date: 2007-06-08 16:46:14
Lists: pgsql-novice

Below is a function I am trying to create that will take a series of
geographic points form a UTM projection and translate it to lat/long that's
not the problem though the translation works wonderfully as a separate
select statement. I'm trying to encapsulate this into a function now and I
am getting a problem returned saying:

ERROR: syntax error at or near "$2"

SQL state: 42601

Character: 137

Context: PL/pgSQL function "vts_insert_stop" line 10 at select into
variables

I'm not sure where I've gone sideways on this but seeing as how I'm still
learning the pgplsql syntax I figured it could be anywhere.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION vts_insert_stop(text, text, numeric, numeric,
numeric)

RETURNS numeric AS

'

DECLARE

stopnum ALIAS for $1;

stopdes ALIAS for $2;

stopeasting ALIAS for $3;

stopnorthing ALIAS for $4;

projection ALIAS for $5;

transCoord RECORD;

BEGIN

SELECT INTO transCoord X(SubSel.transformed_geom),
Y(SubSel.transformed_geom) FROM (

SELECT SetSRID(

Transform(

GeomFromText(

''POINT('' || stopeasting || '' '' stopnorthing || '')'',
projection

), 4326

),

-1) AS transformed_geom) SubSel;

INSERT INTO
vts_route_stops(stop_number,stop_description,stop_latitude,stop_longitude)

VALUES(stopnum,stopdes,transCoord.Y,transCoord.X);

RERTURN void;

END'

LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

Gary Townsend (Systems Programmer & Developer )

Spatial Mapping Ltd.

#200 484 2nd Ave. Prince George, B.C., Canada V2L 2Z7

Phone: 250 564 1928

Fax: 250 564 0751