RE: Fail to restore index tables by pg_dumpall

From: "Jessica Ord" <jo(at)uk(dot)xo(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "jo" <jo(at)uk(dot)xo(dot)com>
Subject: RE: Fail to restore index tables by pg_dumpall
Date: 2000-11-15 10:48:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Dear Tom,

Thank you for your reply. It is strangely there was no error message at all
when I restore the backup as if everything ran smoothly.

I am not sure if the 'initdb --template' command has also cleared away all
the system index tables as well. This is because I find out all the system
index tables are no longer exists when I run the '\dS' command to list
system tables and indexes. I forgot to run this command before I execute
the 'initdb --template' command so I am not sure what is the cause. I read
from other user's comment from the Internet that one should run this
'initdb' to clear the database. I wonder is that true?

I am not sure if I should just drop all the old testing databases in the new
machine except template1 database before restoring all the on-line databases
onto the new machine. Please advise if possible.

Many many thanks.

regards,
Jessica