RE: Where is the Database log file ?

From: "Ed Bras" <e(dot)bras(at)hccnet(dot)nl>
To: <mack(at)ips(dot)cs(dot)tu-bs(dot)de>, "Postgres General newsgroep (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Where is the Database log file ?
Date: 2000-01-23 23:32:21
Lists: pgsql-general

> In th documentation thay talk about a database log file which is used in
for example RAISE NOTICE.
> Where can I find this (the log file) ? and how can I see this kind of
information in the system tables ?

> Postmaster writes its messages to stdout (stderr?).

> So we start it in /etc/init.d/postgres with:

> su - postgres -c "source /usr/dblocal/pgsql/.login;
/usr/dblocal/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -o -e >>&
/usr/dblocal/pgsql/server.log&"

> and the output will be in /usr/dblocal/pgsql/server.log.

Howwww, I am sorry but you are going a bit too fast I think.
I don't really understand which part is responsible for the logging ? Please
give a bit more info ?
The only thing I have in /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres is (the starting of the
postmaster:

su -l postgres -c '/usr/bin/postmaster -i -S -D/var/lib/pgsql'

and nothing about some logging commands (neither does server.log excits) !!

Regards,
Ed Bras