Proposed addition to psqlodbc driver

From: "Ken Shaw" <kshaw(at)belarc(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Proposed addition to psqlodbc driver
Date: 2005-01-12 23:03:33
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi,

Our app currently runs on SqlServer; we are porting it to run on
PostgreSQL.

We often have data that has a backslash in it, which is an escape
character in PostgreSQL for both string literals and LIKE patterns.
This special treatment of backslash in PostgreSQL breaks our code in
numerous places.

We have eliminated 99% of these problems by modifying the driver so that
the driver escapes the backslash in string literals and in LIKE string
literal patterns. (That is, it inserts extra backslashes). We have
made this handling be optional by adding an "Escape Backslash" checkbox
in the "Datasource" "Advanced Options" dialog, so that users and
applications that need the standard behavior have it.

Please let me know whether you would you be interested in making this
part of the standard driver or need more information.

Best Regards,
Ken Shaw

Ken Shaw
Belarc, Inc. - "PC Management for the Internet Age"
phone: 734-971-1445
fax: 509-277-0391
email: kshaw(at)belarc(dot)com
web: http://www.belarc.com