Re: pg_dump/pg_restore question

From: "Iain" <iain(at)mst(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: <worik(at)noggon(dot)com>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump/pg_restore question
Date: 2004-08-23 04:57:45
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi Worik,

I can't address the specifics of your problem but I'll give you an example
of I do it on a 7.4 db. I dunno if all options are available on your
version.

To get the backup:

pg_dump --format=c -v DBNAME > FILENAME.dump

To restore you have to create a new DB (drop the old one first if
neccessary):

createdb -T template0 [-E ENCODING] DBNAME

Note that this is template 0 and not template 1. (also, don't forget to set
your database encoding if the default isn't what you want).

Then create a contents list:

pg_restore --list DBNAME.dump > DBNAME.list

You can edit the list file to rearrange the restore order or omit items.

Finally, do the restore:

pg_restore --use-list=DBNAME.list --dbname=DBNAME -v DBNAME.dump

This is all documented fairly well in the online documentation, you just
need to spend a bit of time going through it. As I recall, some information
is in the admin section and some is in the documentation of the client
programs (pg_dump and pg_restore are client programs iirc).

Also, consider upgrading to 7.4 to ensure you get the best support.

Good luck,
Iain