Re: .NET or Mono functions in PG

From: "Gevik Babakhani" <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: "'Magnus Hagander'" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: .NET or Mono functions in PG
Date: 2007-11-30 15:43:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I did look at this at some earlier point as well. One big
> problem at that time was that once you embedded mono, you had
> all sorts of threads running in your backend ;-)

yes, threads running around could become a show stopper for both Mono and
MS.NET
This is something I want to be sure of before I begin.

> Another way to do it is "the PL/J" way (I think). Which is
> starting up a separate process with the VM in it and then do
> RPC of some kind to it.
> Which has more overhead per call, but lower per backend etc.
> And a lot less "dangerous".

This is actually my plan B, hence it is less dangerous.
I am thinking the "started process" can stay alive and act
as a service of some kind to handle/answer calls form multiple
backends and shutdown itself after a period of time being
idle.

Regards,
Gevik Babakhani
PostgreSQL NL http://www.postgresql.nl