:(( VEEERRRRYYYY SLLLOOOWWWWWW!

From: "Costin Manda" <costin(dot)m(at)interpoint(dot)ro>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: :(( VEEERRRRYYYY SLLLOOOWWWWWW!
Date: 2005-03-28 11:27:10
Lists: pgsql-novice

I have this computer using postgres and PHP script that access and insert
values in this database. I also have a computer with a MsSQL db on it. I
made a script to read and update values from the MsSQL db to postgres.

At the time I had postgres 7.4.1 and the script went excruciatingly slow.
Something like 4 inserts per second! I tried every optimisation trick I
could find on the net, but to no avail.

Finally I upgraded to 8.0.1 and the script ran INSTANTLY! like, 200 thousand
inserts in 10 minutes. So I was very happy about it. But yesterday the power
went off. When I restarted the computer, the script went very slow again.

I tried vacuuming, reindexing, deleting all indexes and recreating them,
using pg_resetxlog, changing linux kernel variables and postgres
configuration variables. Nothing helps!

PLEASE!! Help me or kill me!