Re: Performance of Postgres via network connections

From: "Steve Wolfe" <steve(at)iboats(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance of Postgres via network connections
Date: 2000-06-30 22:36:14
Lists: pgsql-general

> Since most RAID servers can't even flood a 100 mbit connection, you're
more
> than safe with that much bandwidth if most of your traffic is going to be
> database related. You might want to factor in all the other network
> traffic that will be going over those lines though. For instance, if the
> app servers are going to be mounting partitions off of a RAID server on
the
> same network, and your Internet connection comes in there too, you might
> start to run into problems. The database shouldn't even come close
though.

Thank you, I appreciate the comments. Each app server is actually going
to have two 100 mbit cards, one to connect it to the RAID array, and one to
connect it to the database machine. Your comments give me even more hope
that this will work as well as we hope. ; )

After this is all set up, if anyone would like, I may type up an
explanation of how things were done as well as costs, for those going
through the same sort of growing pains. It's certainly been a lot of work
for us to hammer out all of the details, hopefully that would help someone
else avoid the work.

steve