Re: max() unexpected type conversion

From: Hélder M(dot) Vieira <hmv(at)mail(dot)telepac(dot)pt>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: max() unexpected type conversion
Date: 2005-11-22 01:40:00
Lists: pgsql-sql

> This is true of just about everything, not only max() -- there are *no*
> functions yielding varchar in recent PG releases

Thanks for the information. I added an explicit cast to the max() output and
it works fine.

Anyway, for those using VB, this is potentially hazardous. Knowing that the
underlying data is of type 'varchar', one has to be always very cautious
about the 'text' conversion, otherwise all readings after the first will
return null instead of valid data.

Helder M. Vieira