Re: Sequential Scan Index Bug

From: "Gabriel Weinberg" <yegg(at)alum(dot)mit(dot)edu>
To: "'Stephan Szabo'" <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: "'Bruno Wolff III'" <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sequential Scan Index Bug
Date: 2004-04-07 17:03:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I would expect if I did intcol = 4.35 or intcol = 'abc', it would throw a
type mismatch error.

Now whether you want to be clever and make intcol = 4.0 not throw an error
and instead convert it to intcol = 4 is another thing. In that case, I
still wouldn't scan the table. And now that I think of it, 4 is different
than 4.0 in terms of precision. If you are querying an intcol, maybe that
doesn't matter, but I would probably err on the side of precaution and throw
a type mismatch error as well.

Gabriel

Gabriel Weinberg
yegg(at)alum(dot)mit(dot)edu