Constraint->function dependency and dump in 7.3

From: SZŰCS Gábor <surrano(at)mailbox(dot)hu>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Constraint->function dependency and dump in 7.3
Date: 2004-07-08 11:09:54
Lists: pgsql-sql

Dear Gurus,

Just recently realized that our daily dump from a 7.3 (production) db to a
7.4 (development) server has problems. I have no idea where to search for an
answer so please feel free to point me to the appropriate thread, doc or TFM
:)

Below is two portions of the dump, which seems to be in the wrong order (at
least for me). I'm not sure, and not in a position to easily test it, that
it's wrong order in 7.3; but 7.4 has problems creating the table without the
function (which is logical):

%----------------------- cut here -----------------------%
CREATE TABLE cim (
-- etc etc ...
orszag_kod integer,
CONSTRAINT cim_orszag_kod CHECK ((hely_fajta(orszag_kod) = 7))
);

-- ... several lines later:

CREATE FUNCTION hely_fajta (integer) RETURNS integer
AS ' ... '
LANGUAGE sql;
%----------------------- cut here -----------------------%

Checked pg_depend, and constraint cim_orszag_kod refers to function
hely_fajta, but noone (not even the table) refers to the constraint. I'm
just wondering if it's ok...

1) is it normal that the table does not refer to its constraints?
2) if not, do you have the idea of the possible cause?
3) if so, is it normal for pg_dump to dump in this order?
4) if so, how may I change it?
5) may inserting into pg_depend solve the problem?

TIA,
G.
\end