Deleting Records

From: "Christian Paul B(dot) Cosinas" <cpc(at)cybees(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Deleting Records
Date: 2005-10-20 08:43:34
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi!

I'm experiencing a very slow deletion of records. Which I thin is not right.
I have a Dual Xeon Server with 6gig Memory.
I am only deleting about 22,000 records but it took me more than 1 hour to
finish this.

What could possibly I do so that I can make this fast?

Here is the code inside my function:

FOR temp_rec IN SELECT * FROM item_qc_doer LOOP
DELETE FROM qc_session WHERE item_id = temp_rec.item_id;
DELETE FROM item_qc_doer WHERE item_id = temp_rec.item_id;
END LOOP;

Item_qc_oder table contains 22,000 records.

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html