looking for documentation about the optimizer

From: "Alice Lottini" <alice_lottini(at)yahoo(dot)it>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: looking for documentation about the optimizer
Date: 2002-10-22 14:15:57
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

Hi,
I'm a student in Informatics Engineering and I'm working at my thesis, for which I have to integrate one or more primitives in PostgreSQL in order to support data mining algorithms; this task firstly requires a deep analysis on the PostgreSQL optimizer (the way it works and its source code).
Does anybody know where I can find some documentation about the PostgreSQL optimizer?
I've read some old messages (1997) about an "Implementation Guide" but the related link seems to be obsolete ("page not found")...
Any suggestion is welcome!
thanks in advance, alice