Unicode Support

From: "Sumita Biswas (sbiswas)" <sbiswas(at)cisco(dot)com>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Unicode Support
Date: 2004-02-26 05:51:12
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi All,

This is regarding Unicode Encoding(UTF8) in Postgres.
I have the following assumptions, please correct me if I am wrong:

1. Postgres Supports unicode encoding(UTF8).
2. Any database takes the default encoding unless specified. Hence we
can configure a Database to support unicode(UTF8) while creating the
database.
3. The datatype which will store unicode data will be "character
varying" as there are no other datatypes like NVARCHAR(in MSSQL) in
Postgres. This will happen only when the Database is configured to
support unicode(UTF8) encoding.

Regards,
Sumita