reconfiguring diskspace while upgrading to 8.2.5

From: "Mark Steben" <msteben(at)autorevenue(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <rich(at)autorevenue(dot)com>, "'David Parks'" <dparks(at)autorevenue(dot)com>, "'Craig Brothers'" <cbrothers(at)autorevenue(dot)com>
Subject: reconfiguring diskspace while upgrading to 8.2.5
Date: 2007-12-28 15:08:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

Admin team,

We are upgrading from Postgres 7.4.5 to 8.2.5 in mid January. We are also
adding new disks

As we go. I am investigating using the new tablespace facility to move our
biggest and most accessed

Table to the new disk. Here are the statistics. We are running RAID 10

Current database size ------------- 63 GIG

Heavy accessed table to move:

Table ----------------------- 7.4 GIG

2 indexes ------------------- 3 GIG apiece

2 other indexes ------------- 2.5 GIG apiece

Current database disk configuration

TOTAL space -------------- 404 GIG

TOTAL spindles ----------- 3

TOTAL mirrors ------------ 3

New additional disk configuration

TOTAL space ------------ 290 GIG

TOTAL spindles ----------- 2

TOTAL mirrors ----------- 2

The choices we see are:

1. Adding the two new spindles to the other three making one huge
logical partition

And all 350+ tables and 400+ indexes continue to reside there

2. Keeping the two new spindles separate and dedicating the heavy access
table

And its 4 indexes to it.

3. Keeping the two new spindles separate and dedicating the heavy access
table

To it, but keeping the 4 indexes on the old partition.

I know that maintaining almost 700 GIG of total disk space being utilized by
a 63 GIG

Database looks like disk-space overkill but we do expect massive growth
over the

Next 2 - 3 years.

Any thoughts / comments would be appreciated.

Also are there tools out there that monitor disk I/O and disk speed?

Thanks for your time,

Mark Steben

Senior Database Administrator
@utoRevenueT
A Dominion Enterprises Company
480 Pleasant Street
Suite B200
Lee, MA 01238
413-243-4800 Home Office
413-243-4809 Corporate Fax

msteben <blocked::mailto:name(at)autorevenue(dot)com> @autorevenue.com

Visit our new website at
<blocked::http://www.autorevenue.com/> www.autorevenue.com

IMPORTANT: The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential
and is intended only for the named addressee(s). If the reader of this
e-mail message is not the intended recipient (or the individual responsible
for the delivery of this e-mail message to the intended recipient), please
be advised that any re-use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
e-mail message is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail message in
error, please reply to the sender that you have received this e-mail message
in error and then delete it. Thank you.

Come Visit Us at NADA! Booth #5735N
February 9th - February 12th
Moscone Center in San Francisco, CA