Re: saving a query and reults to a file.

From: "T(dot) Lackey" <lackey(at)ltu(dot)edu>
To: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, "A(dot) Kretschmer" <andreas(dot)kretschmer(at)schollglas(dot)com>
Cc: "Christian Hofmann" <christian(dot)hofmann(at)gmx(dot)de>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: saving a query and reults to a file.
Date: 2005-12-02 17:41:04
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am the person who originally posted the question. I teach an introductory
database class so it is very beneficial for students to have both the query
and results in the same file. MySQL uses "tee or \T" and appends everything
to the designated output file. I do not particularly like the way I am
implementing this in psql, but after reviewing suggested solutions it
appears there is not much choice. I use the script below by entering the
command "\i c:/tee.txt". The file tee.txt contains the following.

\o c:/psqlResults1.txt

\e

\o

\w c:/psqlQuery1.txt

\! copy c:\\psqlQuery1.txt+c:\\psqlResults1.txt c:\\psqlAll.txt

The script puts you into the command buffer. When exiting the command buffer
the query is run. The query is saved in psqlQuery1.txt, the results are in
the psqlResults1.txt. and everything is in psqlAll.txt.

A few more DOS commands can be added to the script to include a file with
blank lines in the COPY for spacing, DELete for the files you do not want to
keep around, etc.

I still would like to see a better way to do this. Thank you for all of your
help.