Re: Insert performance vs Table size

From: "Praveen Raja" <praveen(dot)raja(at)netlight(dot)se>
To: "'Jacques Caron'" <jc(at)directinfos(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Insert performance vs Table size
Date: 2005-06-28 09:50:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

I assume you took size to mean the row size? What I really meant was
does the number of rows a table has affect the performance of new
inserts into the table (just INSERTs) all other things remaining
constant. Sorry for the confusion.

I know that having indexes on the table adds an overhead but again does
this overhead increase (for an INSERT operation) with the number of rows
the table contains?

My instinct says no to both. If I'm wrong can someone explain why the
number of rows in a table affects INSERT performance?

Thanks again