User access

From: "Bob Jarman" <rjarman(at)aug(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: User access
Date: 2003-03-19 21:59:23
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I'm new to Postgres so if this covered in the DOCs or FAQ, please point me there.

We're running Postgres on a server with 10 workstations (academic computing lab (RH 8.0, PostgreSQL 7.3.2) ). My question is how do I prevent users from accessing everyone else's databases. I've read that pg_hba.conf allows all local users "trust" authentication and cannot seem to get md5 or password to work as the authentication method. Obviously allowing students global access is not a good thing.

Also, how can I have each user have an individual database area rather than all co-located in /usr/share/data.....

tia, direct e-mail is preferred

Bob

rjarman(at)aug(dot)edu