Execution plan Question

From: "Objectz" <objectz(at)postmark(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Execution plan Question
Date: 2003-03-10 16:43:17
Lists: pgsql-sql

hi all,

I have a strange problem and really wish to get some help in here.

I have the following tables

create table shr_objects(
objectid int8 not null
companyid int4 not null
name varchar(255)
description varchar(255)
)
primary key : object id
foreign key on companyid references shr_companies(companyid)
Index on companyid
Number of rows ~ 1,410,000

create table smb_contacts{
contactid int4 not null
objectid int8 not null
firstname varchar(255)
lastname varchar(255)
)
primary key : contactid
foreign key on objectid references shr_objects9objectid)
index on : objectid
Number of rows ~ 10,000

I am trying to execute a query that joins the 2 tables on object id , it
works fine but when i add an order clause the performance is degarded
dramatically. I have included both quiries with their excution plan.

Regards,
--ObjectZ Maker