Limit on connections

From: "Colin Mangiagalli" <colin(at)camara(dot)co(dot)za>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Limit on connections
Date: 2003-02-24 13:54:14
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi

Is there a limit under postgresql/cygwin/windows to the maximum number
of connections you can make to the database.

I am using PostgreSQL 7.2.1-2 and Poolman 2.1-b1 to managed the
connections

I had this weird problem that there were about 35 connections open
(looking at the windows task manager), all doing
something (what I don't know) and the CPU usage was sitting at 100%

I have seen this problem twice before, but don't know how to replicate
it. Also, I have to actaully restart the machine in
order to close these connections, because the postmaster service won't
shut down.
What does that mean if the connections don't want to close normally?

Is there a way to see what could have opened the connections?

Thanks
Colin