Re: Postgresql Automatic vacuum

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: "John Buckman" <john(at)lyris(dot)com>, <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql Automatic vacuum
Date: 2002-09-25 05:10:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It doesn't have to make its way into the postgresql daemon itself -- in
fact since some people like tuning the vacuuming, it makes more sense to
make this a daemon. No, my suggestion is simple that some sort of
auto-vacuumer be compiled as a stand-alone app and included in the standard
postgresql tar.gz file, and the install instructions recommend the site
adding it as a cron job.

unless I missed something.... the point of a daemon is so that we don't need
to use cron.

I also think that some type of daemon should be included in the pg sources,
and installed with the rest of the system, and if configured to do so, the
postmaster launches the auto vac daemon. I think this still makes sense
even with the proposed setup (autovac client is just special client app).