problem converting from 8.0.4 to 8.1beta3: character encoding

From: "Rick Schumeyer" <rschumeyer(at)ieee(dot)org>
To: "'PgSql General'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: problem converting from 8.0.4 to 8.1beta3: character encoding
Date: 2005-10-14 12:41:06
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a database in pg 8.0.4 that is encoded as UNICODE. Somehow, some
"strange" characters made it in there. Mostly, several instances of '
(apostrophe) are really some extended character. They display in a text
editor as \222 (or something similar). I'm not sure how that happened, but
they display properly in a web application; in psql they seem to be ignored.

In any event, if I pg_dump the database and attempt to load it into
8.1beta3, I get an error for each of these characters. The beta3 database
is encoded in UTF8, which I understand is the same as UNICODE. Perhaps this
is incorrect?

I'm not familiar on the character encoding issues, so any help is
appreciated!